Sunday, November 08, 2009

Capsule Wardrobe Pt 3: The Black Album

When I first moved to New York back in 1862, I lived in a dorm at NYU. There was another freshmen girl I used to see in the elevator ALL THE TIME and she would say the same thing to me, in a way that made it clear that she did not remember that she had seen me or said this thing to me before!

"You always wear black - that is, like, so New York to me! I mean when I think of New York, that is what I think of. Someone like you dressed in black. Hahaha [weird nervous laugh]."

... Or some variation of this.
I could have prevented this embarrassing mini-monologue if I had worn ONE COLOR my whole freshmen year. But alas.

Later on, right after I graduated, I got really into clothes and shoes in a more "outfit" kind of way, and got into color. Of course, there was an older guy that I
liked and he gave me an obnoxious lecture about how I dressed too young (um, I was 23) and how I should wear more black. I stopped liking him.

Anyway, the truth is, I am going back to my dark days. It's so much easier! I could start a whole blog just about black outfits. I think they're inspiring because most people already have pieces they can put to work in recreating a similar look.

If you have any black outfit images (of you or from the web), send them on over to holierthannowblog at gee mail! I will put them up with a link to you - and probably totally copy them in my daily wardrobe.





Image credits (from top): Wayne Tippets, Stockholm Street Style, Stylesightings, Olsens Anonymous.

No comments: